How To Create Killer Content with Scott SchangMay 24, 2021
Content can be the connection to customers your business is missing. Whether it’s blogs, articles, or social media posts, content creates an opportunity for potential customers to find and interact with your small business. The CoLab hosts Megan Marsh and Andres Munar know firsthand the power that content holds. In this episode, they are joined by entrepreneur Scott Schang, co-owner of Buy Wise Mortgage and founder of Find My Way Home, to discuss the important role content plays in business growth, and how to create killer content.
Businesses create products and services for customers, but there’s something else they should be creating, too—content. Content is more than just advertisements. It’s a means of connection and one that small businesses don’t have to invest an astronomical amount of resources into to get started.
The CoLab hosts Megan Marsh and Andres Munar have produced many types of content for their businesses. They’re joined this episode by Scott Schang to talk about the best strategies, tips, and more. Schang is the co-owner of Buy Wise Mortgage and founder of Find My Way Home, a website focused on empowering potential homebuyers with the knowledge to successfully navigate the homebuying process.
Ready to dive in? Here’s what we’re covering in this episode of The CoLab:
- [00:29] Creating content can be a simple and cost-effective way to market your business, especially for young businesses that may not yet have the funds to pour into a robust marketing campaign.
- [06:23] Scot Schang’s content creation journey started in 2007 with a WordPress blog and an idea.
- [15:39] In today’s digital world, a video-first content strategy can really pay off for a small business. A video can be broken down into audio-only and also transcribed to create written content.
- [26:51] Building content does not replace person-to-person relationships—it helps amplify them.
- [34:24] Content should be created with a specific goal or purpose in mind.
- [44:38] Embrace opportunities to participate in newsjacking. That means getting out in front of news about your industry and having an opinion on it. Then share that content with your customers to establish yourself as a thought leader in the industry.
What about you? What are some tips, steps, and tricks you use to help others know how to create killer content?
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Want to learn more about marketing? Listen to The CoLab Podcast episode, “How Can A Small Business Gain Traction With Marketing?”
- A helpful speech-to-text tool recommended by The CoLab is ai.
- You can connect with Scott Schang on his Facebook or LinkedIn