How To Make Your First Hire As A Small Business OwnerJul 28, 2021
Are you a business owner who feels like you work all day but get nothing done? Many small business owners may feel trapped in a cycle of doing busy work that keeps them from growing their business—especially those without employees. If you want to break that cycle and make your first hire, The CoLab hosts Megan Marsh and Andres Munar are here to walk you through bringing your first team member on board.
Being a solopreneur can be very rewarding. You’re your own boss, you make your own schedule, and you do the work you want to do—sometimes. Other times, your business is pulling your attention in a million different directions.
Being a one-person business limits your production to what you can get done. Bringing on an employee or two can cut down your to-do list and grow your business to new levels. That said, a bad hire can cost you valuable time and money, so The CoLab is here to help you do it right.
Ready to dive in? Here’s what we’re covering in this episode of The CoLab:
- [04:23] Hiring the wrong person can be frustrating for small business owners with busy schedules and endless to-do lists. Having a consistent, thorough hiring process can help you select the candidates that will shine in the job.
- [12:22] The key to hiring the best person possible is to understand what you need help with and what kind of skills and characteristics a person would need to succeed in that role.
- [14:09] To understand where you need help, make two lists of business tasks. One list will be tasks you enjoy and are making your business money. The other will be tasks that don’t make money, you don’t like doing, or you don’t feel you’re good at.
- [21:48] Entrepreneurs are action takers. Preparing to hire that first employee can be daunting, but not bringing someone on board could have a negative impact on your growing business.
Resources in this Episode:
- Listen to Episode 5: The Blueprint to Successful Team Building to learn more about The Busy Bee Blueprint.
- Listen to Episode 25: Virtual Assistants: Your Secret Weapon for Success to learn more about hiring virtual assistants.
- The CoLab recommends using Fivver for your freelance needs.