Women in the Workplace: Expressing EmotionsFeb 01, 2021
Being a woman in the world of business comes with its own set of unique challenges. One of the biggest is the double standard of expressing emotion. The CoLab host Megan Marsh dives into this topic of women in the workplace expressing emotions with co-worker Melissa Mueller, loan originator for Keystone Alliance Mortgage.
Navigating the business world requires grit, tenacity, and passion. How those characteristics and others are interpreted is often defined by gender. Women are often socially penalized in business settings for expressing emotions that are considered masculine. Rather than being seen as strong, passionate, and direct, they instead are called bossy, over-emotional, and intimidating.
Understanding the energy behind emotions and casting their associated gender stereotypes to the side will help make you a better business owner and team leader.
Ready to dive in? Here’s what we’re covering in this episode of The CoLab:
● [00:47] The topic of emotions in the workplace is often centered on women, but discussing this topic is valuable to anyone of any gender.
● [02:43] In the workplace, women often come under greater scrutiny than men for expressing emotion.
● [06:38] At the risk of being seen as unstable, women have to learn to adapt quickly and control their emotions, the expression of which is often incorrectly perceived as weakness.
● [14:24] A stoic exterior is often the expectation in business, especially in roles that deal directly with clients. But oftentimes, expressing emotions is more about energy leaving the body, not the feelings associated with them.
● [21:48] The perception of emotions in regard to women can negatively affect their advancement in the workplace.
● [30:29] In the moment, it's important to take a deep breath, sit for a moment, and think about the facts of the situation and the emotions they are triggering.
● [33:41] There are resources and strategies you can use while at work to help navigate situations that might trigger an emotional reaction.